Why We Love It
Start your ultra with confidence and finish it strong with Hal Koerner's Field Guide to Ultrarunning!
Where We Use It
At camp, traveling, or anywhere you can curl up with a good book.
Ultramarathon doesn't leave much room for mistakes. Don't learn the hard way, get a jump on training for an ultramarathon with Hal Koerner's Field Guide to Ultrarunning, a comprehensive handbook to running 30 to 100 miles and beyond, written by one of the most experienced and recognized athletes in the sport.
Hal Koerner is among America's best ultrarunners with podium results in more than 90 ultramarathons. In his smart, down-to-earth handbook, Koerner shares hard-earned wisdom, field-tested habits, and insider tips to help you prepare for your ultra.
You'll find guidance on exactly what you need to know to prepare for ultramarathon, including:
- best gear for ultrarunning
- fueling and hydration guidelines
- choosing an ultra
- trail-running technique
- first-aid advice
- beating altitude, storms, and heat
- race-day game plans
- crew and pacer tips
- mental strategies to get you to the finish line
- three detailed training plans to prepare for 50K, 50-mile to 100K, and 100-mile ultramarathons.